- Do not forget Michael Brown
- Do not forget how the media dehumanized him and tried to justify his murder
- Do not forget how peaceful protests were painted as savage riots
- Do not forget police armed with military grade weapons terrorized and arrested black civilians
- Do not forget Darren Wilson being awarded over $200,000 in fundraiser donations for murdering an unarmed black child
- Do not forget that this system was not built to defend us, but to control us
- Do not forget Ferguson
I might get the top of my ear pierced next week and omg I am so excited yayayayayay.
We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls “You can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful, but not too successful, otherwise you will threaten the man”. Because I am female, I am expected to aspire to marriage. I’m expected to make my life choices always keeping in mind that marriage is the most important. Now, marriage can be a source of joy and love and mutual support but why do we teach girls to aspire to marriage and we don’t teach boys the same? We raise girls to see each other as competitors. Not for jobs or for accomplishments, which I think can be a good thing, but for the attention of men. We teach girls that they cannot be sexual beings in the way that boys are. Feminist, a person who believes in the social, political and economical equality of the sexes.
— Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche’s commentary in Beyoncé’s ***Flawless